Monday, May 20, 2013

"Silhouettes"

For the past week I've been house-bound with the flu and getting bored with sleeping and watching TV reruns I started watching some of the Prima videos on YouTube...They are a great source of inspiration if a little long.  I'm going to exceed my download limit this month for sure!  The designers are truly clever and I've already stolen a few ideas and there are more I can't wait to try out.

For this layout I've used a somewhat crazy layering technique.  It looks difficult, but was surprisingly easy and I really love how it turned out....I'm sure I'll be using this technique again!

I love this photo. I took a series of them and I'm sure I'll be doing more layouts using these photos. I love how you've got the colours from the sun as it's setting behind Mt Etna and just the shadows of the people (and dog) in the foreground. 
 
 
 
 List of products used:
  • Graphic 45 - Secret Garden Collection;
  • Dusty Attic - Corner Scroll;
  • Ranger - Adirondack Paint Dabbers - Espresso & Butterscotch;
  • Ranger - Tim Holtz Distress Inks - Tea Dye;
  • Prima Flowers;
  • American Crafts - Thickers;
  • Tattered Angels - Glimmer Mist - Summer Glow.
 
"Crazy Layering" - I'm not sure if there's a better name, but this is the name that came to me and seems to suit this style.
 
The layered papers come from one entire sheet of 12x12 pattern paper.  In this case I substituted 1/3 sheet for another pattern paper to add some colour to the mix.
 
Take your sheet of pattern paper and cut roughly into thirds.  As the edges are going to be distressed you don't need to make exactly straight cuts if using a knife.
 
The first 1/3 I cut in half giving 2 x 6" long pieces, the rest I randomly cut from 2 1/2" to 5" wide. 
 
Distress all edges with a distressing tool and then ink with distress ink.  This helps to give the layering definition and to raise the pieces slightly from each other. 
 
I arranged the 2 largest pieces first and then tucked the different size pieces under (or over) until I got a shape I was happy with. 
 
Carefully flipping the stack over, I carefully glued each piece in place. Further dimension can be achieved by using foam tape between the layers.
 
 
I am also getting braver with clustering of flowers.  I can see I'm going to run out of flowers quickly using so many at once, but I really love the effect of having a bunch of flowers together on the layout.
 
The Dusty Attic corner scroll was painted with the Ranger Paint Dabbers - entirely with Espresso then random dabs with Butterscotch.
 
To finish off, Glimmer Mist Summer Glow was flicked (by taking the sprayer out of the bottle and flicking the end) over the edges of the layout, and a squirt over the title.

This entire layout was done in less than an afternoon - a record for me.  I can take days to complete a page.  However, with all the layering it appears quite complex.

I hope you like my layout and maybe gained some ideas for your next project!

Veronica
 

1 comment:

  1. Stunning photo, love those Graphic 45 papers

    ReplyDelete