Friday, February 14, 2014

"Christmas Outtakes" Layout



Hello everyone, after my extended break from the team, it’s great to be back!
Today I am sharing a Christmas layout with you. Now before you say “but Christmas is over”, please bear with me! If you are anything like me, Christmas was a hectic period and now that normal routine has resumed, you finally have time to get your hands dirty again. Time to drag out all those photos that you haven’t scrapped yet!

This is a GREAT time to scrap your Christmas pics, as you will find most Christmas-themed supplies are now on sale! (Check out what is available in store HERE) For this layout I used Bo Bunny’s Elf Magic range, which is full of fabulous colours and cute, whimsical embellishments.


To go along with the theme of my “imperfect” photos, I created this layout using a messy, mixed media style. I started by trimming and sewing my background sheet to my base cardstock, and then it was time to start layering!


Firstly, I smeared on some white paint, the splattered some contrasting blue Glimmer Mist onto the paper. I used the reverse side of the offcut strips from my background sheet to draw the eye into the centre of the layout, then built up from there.


I used washi tapes, stamps and more paint to add depth. Mixed media layouts provide the ideal opportunity to drag out all your under-utilised stamps, so don’t be afraid to use them! (I used a few old Christmas ones and just stamped them randomly.)


For my final background layer, I wanted to add a bit more dimension, but I didn’t want it to overwhelm what I had already done. So I used a 12x12” Prima Elementals stencil (I used stars) and some Tsukineko Clear Texture Spray (Shimmer) to add some subtle texture. Then a final spritz all over with a gold mist.

{Sorry, hard to show the textured masking in a photo}

Next, I added a paper doiley, matted my photos on some cardstock and then mounted using foam tape to lift them off the layout. Lastly, I added some of the coordinating Elf Magic layered chipboard, and a few other bits and bobs from my stash.

{I love that I was able to stamp the date directly onto this embellishment!}

I hope I have inspired you to scrap any of those Christmas photos you have left or perhaps try a mixed media style background for your next layout. (A quick tip from me – Christmas papers don’t have to be used for Christmas projects! The “B” sides of many of the papers make ideal backgrounds for mixed media, so grab some while they are on sale!)

Cheers,
Sue P

No comments:

Post a Comment