Friday, February 22, 2013

Graphic 45 - Film Canister Album - In Campagna (part 2)


Welcome to part 2 of my Graphic 45 - Film Canister Album.  So I'm finally finished and I'm pretty happy with the overall look.  The tin really took very little time once I got over the false starts.  It's not quite what I imagined, but that seems to be my style of creation...I start with an idea, it doesn't work and then I just wing it.  Winging it seems to work for me!!!  But sometimes I wish things would go as planned.



Materials used:

  • Graphic 45 Canister Tin
  • Graphic 45 Trimmings - lace trim
  • Prima Flowers - Firefly Blue Ochre
  • Prima - Doodle Deux - Alphabets
  • Prima - Doodle Deux - Cardstock
  • Hessian
  • Ranger Tim Holtz - Distress Stains - Weathered Wood
  • Ranger - Gesso
  • Tim Holtz - idea-Ology Clock Faces & Game Spinners
  • Ranger - Adirondack Paint Dabbers - Lettuce & Butterscotch
  • Tattered Angels - Glimmer Mist - Blarney, Summer Glow & Tokyo
How to (if you're wanting to know):

First of all I painted 2 coats of Gesso over the outside of the tin.  While it was drying I cut a square of hessian, frayed the edges and then inked the edges with Tim Holtz Weathered Wood Distress Stain.  I then scrunched it in a ball in my hand to make it all wrinkly and old looking. 

Once the 2nd coat of Gesso was dry, I sprayed each of the Glimmer Mist colours in patches n the lid, allowing l each colour to dry before applying the next.  I used my heat tool to speed along the process.  I got a different effect to normal which I think is because the Glimmer Mist is being used on Gesso over metal.  It is less glimmery and more "matte", however I'm happy with the effect.


On the bottom half of the tin, I lightly tapped the 2 Adirondack Paint Dabber colours in turn. It I was aiming for a slightly dirty, aged look a bit like the tin had been sitting around for a while...I think it came out OK.  Let me know if you agree.  I then lightly ran the colours around the outside edges of the tin and around the top outside edge of the lid.  "Lightly" is very important with this technique.  I didn't want to put too much paint.  I just wanted the tin to look "aged".


On the top I centred the hessian, photo, pattern paper (distressed and inked with Weathered Wood Distress Stain).  Added the Clock Face with Game Spinner hands and a couple of flowers.  The title was added "In Campagna" which is Italian for "In the Countryside" using the Prima Doodle Deux Alphas - which match the papers used for the Album.

Finally, a strip of Graphic 45 Trim around the bottom half of the tin and voila!  Finished!!! 
 
 
I hope you like it!!!  I am having a few problems with scratching the paint.  This is my first time using Gesso so I may need to do some more research on how to use it best.
 
Veronica
 

2 comments:

  1. I really like it Veronica. I'd like to know more about Gesso - well I'd like to know how to use it as I have some but haven't used it much at all. I presume you sell the tins - does it come with the album inside????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the tin comes with the album inside and yes they're available in the store, however they're no longer on the Graphic 45 website so they may have been discontinued. I hope not because they are great. I loved the idea of this from the first time I saw the tins. This is my first time using Gesso. I really need to do some research on how to use it properly. I used it as an undercoat, but I didn't completely cover it with the other paint. I just smeared or dabbed very thin quantities of paint over the top. For use on metal it can be used as an undercoat so that you can use other paints over the top which are not normally suitable for use on metal. I'll do some research and put together something for the blog! I want to do some information sheets/tutorials so I'll start with this. :) Thanks for the feedback.

    ReplyDelete