Tuesday, July 1, 2014

12 Tags of 2014 - June


Hello everyone,

I have always been a big fan of everything Tim Holtz and have always included his products in my projects whether they be layouts or off the page.  But I have never, ever made a tag.  This month I decided to give it a go and it was a lot of fun....I truly was surprised at how fun it was.


The technique used for this month's Tag was easy, fun and gave such interesting backgrounds...it was so much fun I ended up making 3 tags and would have made more if time and materials (I used nearly all my Crinkle Ribbon) had allowed.  2 tags are very similar and then one very different.  I won't bore you with step by step details of how I put this together as you can read these easy enough over on Tim's blog and of course his information and photos are far better than mine would have been. 

Click on the link below to see the original post on Tim Holtz's blog (don't worry this will open in a new window). 


http://timholtz.com/12-tags-of-2014-june/
 
This is my very first tag....such a proud moment ;)...and as it turns out I think it is my favourite of the 3...
 

Materials used:
  • Inkssentials #8 Manilla Tag;
  • Inkssentials Watercolor Paper;
  • Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pads;
  • Inkssentials Blending Tool
  • Stampers Anonymous Layering Stencils - Rays, Chevrons, Speckles, Stripes
  • Tim Holtz Water Brush - Fine Nib;
  • Idea-Ology Crinkle Ribbon;
  • Idea-Ology Adornment Charms - Nature;
  • Idea-Ology Mirrored Stars;
  • Inkssentials Mini Misters;
  • Foam Pop-up Tape;
  • Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz Stamp Set - Nature's Discovery;
  • Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz Stamp Set - Birthday Blueprint;
  • Ranger Archival Ink Pad - Jet Black

 
Distress Inks used in Tag 1:
  • Peeled Paint;
  • Wild Honey;
  • Spiced Marmelade;
  • Squeezed Lemonade;
  • Aged Mahogany
 
My 2nd Tag...
 
Distress Inks used in Tag 2:
  • Aged Mahogany;
  • Dusty Concord;
  • Tattered Rose;
  • Scattered Straw;
  • Weathered Wood
 

and finally my 3rd Tag...

For this tag I did adapt the technique a little.  I did a little (or a lot) of spritz and flick with a water mister after initially drying the ink and then I did apply another layer using the Splatters layering stencil.  I also got a bit more carried away with distressing the edges, however I think I like the result.

 
Distress Inks used on Tag 3:
  • Broken China;
  • Dusty  Concord;
  • Fired Brick;
  • Wild Honey;
  • Old Paper;
  • Tea Dye

So, I really loved the 2 techniques I learnt in this...using the reverse side of the stencils and the bow.  I used normal sized distress ink pads, but I agree with Tim that it'd be well worth investing in the mini ink pads.  It would give me the ability to control more my colour placement and the ability to use more colour varieties. 
 
I also love this new bow technique.  It does use an awful lot of Crinkle Ribbon, but they are seriously funky and give a lovely soft finish to the tags. 
 
The fun thing about following Tim's ideas and techniques is that there are very few hard and fast rules.  You can feel free to explore different ideas on your own and of course from every imperfection you can make a perfect project.  I for one am embracing the imperfections in these tags and am looking forward to using these techniques in other projects such as layouts, cards and who knows what else.
 
Happy crafting everyone and don't forget to checkout Tim's next tags and give it a try yourself. 
 
Veronica
 

No comments:

Post a Comment